Canon SX40HS 12MP bridge camera with 35x optical zoom, Full HD video recording and vari-angle LCD screen. Take crisp, clear photos even in low light conditions thanks to the highly sensitive CMOS sensor and super-fast DIGIC 5 image processor. Get closer to your subject and take great pictures whether you're a beginner or advanced photographer with this feature-packed Canon bridge camera.
Get the best of both worlds
- bridge cameras combine the manual controls and high-quality results of an SLR camera with the more travel friendly ethos and automatic functions of a compact camera.
Shoot from awkward angles
- simply flip out the handy vari-angle LCD screen and you can snap pictures from high or low angles easily.
Crisp photos in low light conditions
- the SX40HS can capture detailed images even in low light conditions thanks to a highly sensitive CMOS image sensor and a super-fast DIGIC 5 image processor.
Great for all abilities
- full manual controls give you the tools you need to direct every aspect of your picture, and there's also an automatic scene recognition mode - great for if you just want to point and shoot.
Share HD videos and pictures on TV
- simply connect your SX40HS to an HDTV via the camera's HDMI port (cable not included) and you can share your 1080p home videos and pictures with family and friends in a jiffy!
What's in the box?
- Canon SX40HS bridge camera
- Rechargeable battery
- Battery charger with power lead
- USB cable
- Camera strap
- Software CDs
- Quick start guide
Talk Me Through It customer support
- if you have any difficulties with setup and beyond, the Talk Me Through It team will be on hand with all the gadget advice and support you'll need.
Find out more…
- Image sensor: 1/2.3 type back-illuminated CMOS (12.1MP effective pixels)
- Image processor: DIGIC 5 with iSAPS technology
- Lens: 24mm ultra wide-angle 35x optical zoom lens with Ultrasonic Motor (f/2.7-f/5.8)
- Electronic viewfinder: EVF (0.20 type), 4:3 aspect ratio, approximately 202,000 dots
- LCD monitor: vari-angle 6.8cm (2.7") PureColour II VA (TFT) approximately 230,000 dots
- Shooting modes: Smart Auto (32 scenes detected), Program AE, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual, Custom1, Custom2, Sports, SCN (Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Smart Shutter - Smile, Wink Self-Timer, Face Self-Timer), High-speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light (3MP), Beach, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist), Creative Filters (Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Colour Accent, Colour Swap)
- Movie modes: Smart Auto (21 scenes detected), Standard, Program AE, Portrait, Landscape, Beach, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Colour Accent, Colour Swap, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
- Continuous shooting: approx. 2.4 shots/second, AF: Approx. 0.8 shots/second, LV: Approx. 0.9 shots/second, High-speed Burst HQ: Approx. 10.3 shots/second, up to 8 shots
- File types: still image: JPEG compression (Exif 2.3 compliant), Design rule for Camera File system, Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] version 1.1 compliant; movies: MOV - H.264 with linear PCM (stereo), iFrame
- Battery: rechargeable li-ion battery (NB-10L)
- Battery life: approx 380 shots or approx 540 minutes playback
- Dimensions (w x h x d): 12.29cm x 9.24cm x 10.77cm (4.85" x 3.6" x 4.25")
- Weight: approx 600g
- Hi-speed USB (MTP, PTP) dedicated connector (mini-B compatible)
- HDMI mini connector (HDMI-CEC compatible)
- A/V output
- Memory card slot (SD, SDHC and SDXC compatible)
All measurements are approximate